Friday, January 05, 2007

Songs of Freedom-Theodorakis-Farantouri-John Williams (1971)

Maria Farantouri here sings with that great huge voice she had back in 70s. Great compositions by Mikis Theodorakis actually, nice songs, mostly acoustic-revolutionary folk. Great Federico Garcia Lorca lyrics in some songs. Not easy to describe that kind of music, but not the usual Theodorakis style. Great cooperation with John Williams, that great flamenco guitar player, really incredible guitar. A mixture of greek folk music with flamenco guitar playing and eastern influences. This record is not widely known, but deserves so. Try it and let me hear about your opinion. Please do leave comments about that, not so psychedelic, but great music and cooperation in my own opinion. Something different, interesting work. To Yelasto Pedi (The Smiling Boy) is one of my all time favorites songs! With this record (ok, not only with this one) I always remember that guitar is the best musical instrument.

All compositions by Mikis Theodorakis

Seven Songs of Federico Garcia Lorca Arr. Dodgson:
Tou Pikramenou (He With the sorrow)
Antonio Torres Xepentia I (Capture of Antonito el Camborio)
Antonio Torres Xepentia II (Death of Antonito el Camborio)
Xamos Apo Agapi (Lost through love)
I Kaloggria i Tsingana (The Gypsy Nun)
Tou Anemou (The Wind and the Gypsy Girl)

I Pandermi

Four Epitafios Arr. by Myers for Solo Guitar
Epitafio No. 2 [02.01]
Epitafio No. 3 [02.21]
Epitafio No. 4 [02.14]
Epitafio No. 5 [01.15]

Three Songs Arr. Dodgson for Voice and Guitar:
To Yelasto Pedi The Smiling Boy (Theme from "Z") [03.48]
Silva
Irthan i Anthropoi (The one who was taken by the road)

Enjoy

11 Comments:

Blogger J Thyme...kind said...

What's goin' on here? A ban on Greek music?

12:43 AM  
Blogger Vlasdance said...

They keep deleting things i post...

12:46 AM  
Blogger Edward Soja said...

Hi, I'm new in here. I'm from Portugal. It's sad there's someone deleting the files.

Please, post it again, or put it available again. I'd like so much to hear Maria...

PLEASE....

Eduardo

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice blog !!!
Please post this CD again. Thank you.
Meanwhile, two more CDs of Maria Farantouri and one by Mikis Theodorakis at my blog ALL THAT TANGO:
http://herbtiogasite.blogspot.com/
(Labels: Grecia, Farantouri)

7:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is precious! is there any way you could reload this wonderful disc?

8:45 AM  
Blogger Edward Soja said...

Yes, can you reupload this ( I suppose) pearl fo Greek Music?

Let me share a I thought I just had:

I see on blogs music from everywhere. I just saw on PrognotFrog a metal band from Indonesia...
And what I want to say is that, it seems to me that some people value music not for their origin but for the style itself. That happens probably for the fact that music became poor, all sounding the same, with no roots.

And little countries (in the world music scene, like Indonesia, Portugal and, even, Greece, feel happy when a national artist receives prizes and is known outside and all that. But what does that means?
By doing the kind of promotions I mentioned in nothing helps to export the national culture of countries.
And, later, national artists would want to look more and more international, changing theit sound, to be more acceptable to foreign ears... I'm against this. It's stupid and destroys national cultures. And the world is as better as diverse.

Theodorakis and Farantouri never gave space to "world forces" like those. That's why I value it so much.
Well, having said this, can you upload this file again?

Pleease..

3:49 AM  
Blogger Vlasdance said...

If i can i will updoad this weekend..
But they keep deleting this file when i upload it..
i dont know why...
so...

4:02 AM  
Blogger Edward Soja said...

Thank you man.

Meanwhile... I discovered (already downloaded) that http://herbtiogasite.blogspot.com/ has it. As well as others.

But you could upload the other unavailable Greek albums.
;)

Adeus

4:05 AM  
Blogger SixtyWatt said...

I too wish I could hear this. Would you mind reuploading it, or perhaps yousendit?

I have a coworker who has been looking for this LP forrrever!

Thanks for all your hard work - I love the blog.

5:26 PM  
Blogger SixtyWatt said...

I can't seem to find a contact info for you Vlasdance, so I'm hoping you read this post! Please please reupload this or send it to me! I'm desperate to hear this! Thanks.

60watt(at)gmail.com

12:05 PM  
Blogger gpdlt2000 said...

THAAAANKS FOR THE RE-POST!!!!

2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home